Monday, May 25, 2009

NACIONALISMO: Is It really through a SONG?!


NACIONALISMO: Is it really through A SONG?!

It was exactly one day after Pacquiao’s fight over Hatton that I personally heard about the issue of Martin Nievera singing the National anthem on an international fight and as I expected he would receive criticisms more than compliments in singing it by changing some notes and making it delightful in his own ears. I myself had a feeling of.. “oh, What happened. That is just so different from the way I was taught in singing it back then, when I was in elementary.” After which, as the news goes, they want him to have his public apology and maybe to his surprise, he does not want to. But eventually, he gave in.
The next few days, As I browsing again through the net, I read that there was a suggestion of banning Mr. Nievera in going to our beloved LUPANG HINIRANG! (Chosen NATION). Why? Because his apology is not just enough and it does not suffice the public. Oh really?....not really enough for whom? The Philippines? For the people? Or for the officials waiting to be controversial in this issue? Well, it is your time to shine, so go on, keep it up. Criticize Mr. Nievera up to the very last minute. My point is. I do understand the point of the concerned offices in trying to maintain the “holiness”of every song, letter, flag, symbols and image we have in our history , I am a Filipino! I am proud of what I’ve become because of this chosen nation but, think again. It is just too far away from the real issue. This is just too much. Calling Mr. Nievera’s attention is just right, he needs to be corrected but preventing him from going into the country is just too much. For me, it just shows how shallow we could be as Filipinos. Shallow because we make it a BIG deal when all have done was to apologize and feel sorry for himself. Is it really a crime when you cannot sing the National anthem in the Julian Felipe’s way? Well in fairness to the authorities, they tried to mention the real singers who could sing our song like Lea Salonga and the UP choir. Then again, it gave me the idea, my version of the song maybe wrong, sooooo wrong! Comparing my voice to them? I might just be exclaimed from the country. (tsk.tsk)..If that is the case, then let all the primary students who are singing it every 7:30 in the morning in front of a flag be guilty! Their version may just be too high too low, too fast or too slow!
My point is, If Nievera had it intentionally done? Obviously?! Then tell him, point out to him how far did he went. Would putting him in the jail, preventing him to enter the country correct it?.. It was a crime? After all. Okay let him suffer the consequences of his actions, it is encrypted in our law anyway. But then again, is this really a heinous crime? An act of disobedience and unfaithfulness? Is this just how heavy could it be?
As far as I know when I had my elementary days, they told me the ways of measuring loyalty to the country, is through singing the national anthem whole-heardtedly, the Julian Felipe’s way? In the first place (have you ever asked yourself, what is the real version of Felipe in this?), give respect to the flag and above all be proud as a Filipino, be kind, be hospitable, be a FILIPINO! (that was the way it was instilled in me) It was even mentioned that we have to speak in the native tongues until we came to a point that we have to be competitive and we have to be call-center agents fluent enough to speak the international language. So, are they not loyal too? IS this how superficial we could be? Is it not measured by unity and making my kababayan be proud as a FIlipino because I am just excelling as a FILIPINO and putting my best foot forward?..Now, how do you measure your NACIONALISMO? DO we really rate it by the native tongue we speak and the tones we give in every lyric of our national song? In this context, is it not better, if we really live in the saying: action speaks louder than words?..As for Me? I measure it through representing my tan color, my three stars, my blue and red. I am proud as a Filipino not because my kabayan is good enough in singing the anthem, but because I am productive in the country, making a difference in me and that is being able to instil hope in every Filipino that though life maybe unfair, FILIPINOS are just another lahi (Race) to be proud of? Why? because we are flexible, diversed, and most of all NATURALLY GIFTED with TALENTS! WE shine despite poverty dragging us down! For the Filipinos out there, you are shining, wherever you are, I know you are proud of our native land. We were conquered once, we liberated ourselves and now that we are truly, amazingly noticed in every part of the globe, just be sure that you could sing the NATIONAL anthem or else you would be inhibited in going home (you would never know, how popular you could be, so playsafe!) and.... Oops, before I forget, the title is LUPANG HINIRANG and not BAYANG MAGILIW!

2 comments:

mckhoii said...

mahaba haba din tong article na to ah... Great point Krisma! I guess politician should stop making reactions that are obviously lacking in sincerity. They are only doing it for candidacy sake. Sheesh!

>>MARCUS said...

well said my Darleng...this sounds so familiar hmm? oh thats right my idea...hahaha... love youy..

Post a Comment